hello children 🙂
So I was struggling to come up with an idea for this Sunday’s post, and as I do whenever I need to be creative and get something done, I began to binge-watch YouTube videos. This wasn’t supposed to give me any ideas, just to help me procrastinate, but luckily procrastination worked in my favor (for once) and I thought, why not do a post about 25 random things in my room?
Loads of actual YouTubers (Zoella, AmazingPhil, etc.) have done videos like this, but as a blogger I was slightly reluctant to venture into video territory. My attempt to do a blog form similar to their videos ended up looking very bulky and very long, leading to my (risky? You tell me) decision to try my hand at a video. The quality’s terrible, I know—the fault of my extremely old camera—and the sound quality is also cringe-worthy, but I hope you at least somewhat enjoy this attempt at a video.
More about these 25 random things from my room:
- A Plant Okay, this is actually my brother’s succulent. But it was in my room at the time of filming, so I appropriated it for this video.
- Notebooks I have a lot of these little things. I find them essential for writing down ideas for posts or stories, short little poems, or quotes I loved from various books.
- My Phone No explanation necessary, really.
- French Cookie Tin I got this tin as a present from the family I stayed with when I went to France on a school trip in 8th grade. I already ate the cookies (they were delicious), and now I use the tin as a container for my earrings.
- My dog I have two dogs, and one of them ended up on my bed before I started filming. Her name’s Chaco, and she’s a beagle mix.
- Hand Cream This is the TONYMOLY hand cream I got from Urban Outfitters a couple of weeks ago. I talked about it in my End of Summer Haul post, so if you want to know more head on over there.
- Rubik’s Cube Wow…I just realized I spelled that completely wrong in the video caption. Alas. Anyway, this belongs to my sister, and so far no one in our family has been able to solve it.
- Jewelry Bag I got this bag from Madewell as packaging for some jewelry I bought there. I like to use it to carry earrings and necklaces in on trips.
- Earbuds These are always sitting right next to my bed, as I am constantly listening to music.
- Sunglasses RayBans case, yes, but there aren’t actually RayBans inside. Instead, I have a pair of Peppers, which I use for casual wear and sailing.
- Art by me What can I really say about this except for the fact that it’s a painting that I did in 6th grade? Nothing, really.
- Ratty Shoes I don’t wear these super old Converse except to sailing and to places where I don’t what my shoes look like. The soles are literally about to fall off.
- A Purse This purse was given to me by my grandmother a while ago…apparently it was handmade in Indiana. Interesting.
- Sonic Screwdriver I got this for a Halloween costume when I went as River Song from Doctor Who. I haven’t used it since, but it’s a nice thing to have lying around my room.
- Loads of Books If you didn’t already know, I’m a huge reader, and have a ton of books that I’m in the middle of reading lying about my room. The ones I had in the video were Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, and Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut. I haven’t read the Vonnegut one yet, but I had to read Rebecca for summer reading. It was quite good, actually.
- Kate Spade Postcard This is just a postcard I got for free when I wandered into the Kate Spade store the other day. They had a little stand full of complimentary postcards and mints, and I grabbed one of each. It says “Think outside the box” on the front.
- Empty Coke Bottle I think the only reason why this is sitting in my room is because I really like the design of it. I don’t normally drink Coke, but I thought this would make a cute vase for flowers or something like that.
- My Camera This is actually the family camera, but I’m definitely the one who uses it the most. It’s been a resident in my room for a couple weeks now, and I keep putting off the fact that I need to replace the batteries.
- Jewelry Stand I’ve had this since I started 6th grade, and I’m surprised it’s lasted me this long, as it’s made out of flimsy material. I keep all of my dangly earrings, rings, bracelets, and necklaces on it.
- Nail Polish Usually this is stored in the bathroom, but I had these colors on my dresser for some reason.
- A Brush Again, this is my sister’s Wet Brush. I was trying to use it to brush my hair, but a problem arose when I realized my hair was way too thick.
- Calendar I really love having a calendar that’s not on my phone or laptop, just because I think the action of writing things down helps you remember them better.
- Baseball Cap I received this as a prize at a regatta recently, but I don’t wear it for sailing. I mainly use it for when I’m at the beach.
- Tissues Everyone needs tissues in their rooms. It’s always good to be prepared.
- Pillows I made these pillows a while ago with fabric I got from IKEA. I don’t use them for sleeping, but they’re nice to have as decoration.
Looking back, I’m not sure making a video was the greatest idea ever. Be sure to tell me in the comments what you thought, and I’ll see you next Sunday!
photograph and video (cringe) by me